Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Quick and Easy Gift Box

Share
Here's a fun little gift box that pops together in a snap! It is quick and easy because you use die-cuts and punches to do all the heavy-cutting for you!

I used my Scallop Envelope die-cut and my Big Shot to create the sides of the box with the cute scalloped edges. Start with 2 pieces of 4.25" x 5" card stock (this is exactly 1/4 of a sheet of 8.5" by 11" cardstock) and run it through the Big Shot. Next, cut a 2.75" x 12" strip of cardstock. You should end up with the three pieces shown above. With the long edge parallel to the handle of the paper trimmer, score the long piece of cardstock at 2.25", 5.5", 7.75", and 11".

Now, it's time to get sticky!! Sticky-strip, that is! On the "out" part of the envelopes, add sticky strip, as shown. BUT! Don't take the red stuff off, yet.

Next, cut a piece of DSP to 4-1/8" x 2.5". With the long side of the cardstock parallel to the paper trimmer's handle, score it at 7/8". Using the corner rounder punch, round the edges of the box lid, and the edges of the DSP. Adhere the DSP to the long strip of cardstock where the lid is going to be on the interior of the box.

Now it's time to assemble! Carefully match up the edges of the scallop envelopes with the long strip of cardstock. Make sure the score lines match up, too! Remember, once you peel off the sticky strip and adhere, it's not going to come back up!!
After assembling to the point shown above, it is important to punch your window with the 1-1/4" circle punch before assembling any further.
Now that you have your window, stamp "Thank You" on your window sheet using Whisper White or Very Vanilla Craft ink. Helpful Hint: Craft ink takes a long time to dry on its own, so I like to use my Heat Tool to speed things along! After drying your stamped greeting, place a dimensional on each corner of your window sheet on the same side as your stamped image. Adhere to interior of box.
Our next step is to decorate the exterior of our window. Start by punching a 1-3/8" circle in your cardstock. Next, use the scallop circle punch to create a lovely floral frame.
I also wanted to add a touch of yellow to my floral frame, so I did the same procedure with the 1-1/4" circle punch, and then the 1-3/8" circle punch to create the yellow ring that decorates the interior of the flower.
To adhere, I used my two-way glue pen because it is great for "writing" adhesive just where I want it. With such a narrow space to place adhesive, I knew the two-way glue pen would be the perfect tool for this part of my project.
Next, I used my scallop circle punch and paper-piercing tool to create a nice background for the interior of my window, and also a decorative tab for when the gift box is open.
Adhering the tab is a little tricky. Helpful Hint: to get your tab lined up just right, place adhesive on the lid of the box, fold over the front of the box, line up your tab with the orange floral frame on the front of the box, and then press your tab down firmly into the adhesive you've already placed on the front of the lid. Next, I closed up my box and gave it a little polka-dot pizzazz with some of the new In Color Polka Dot Grosgrain ribbon. It's really cool because it is double-sided: one side has dots and the other doesn't! You can use either or both sides!
Want to give this gift box a try? All of the supplies I used are listed below. Just CLICK HERE to go to my Stampin' Up! website to order any of the supplies you need. Once you get there, click on "Shop Now" in the upper right hand corner, and use the item numbers listed below.
Happy Stampin!
~heather
Stampin' Supplies ( & item number):
Stamps: Wow Flowers (111714)
Ink: Very Vanilla Craft Ink Pad (104308)
Paper: Soft Suede (115318), Dusty Durango (115321), Crushed Curry (115319)
Tools: Paper Piercing Tool (116631), Foam Mat (105826), Heat Tool (100005)
Embellishments: Crushed Curry 1/2" Polka Dot Grosgrain Ribbon (115614)
Blog Widget by LinkWithin