Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Beautiful Butterflies Chest of Drawers

Share

One of my club members brought a similar chest of drawers to class last week, and I just couldn't wait to make one of my own!! What a fun and creative project. Thanks Rhoda for a fabulous idea!

This adorable chest of drawers is actually quite easy to make. It does take time to assemble all of the matchboxes, but it is super easy to make because the Big Shot does all the cutting for you!

First, do all of your die-cutting using the Big Shot:
4 Matchboxes with cardstock
2 Top Notes with cardstock
1 Top Note with DSP (I used Razzleberry Lemonade)
2 Beautiful Butterflies with DSP (also from Razzleberry Lemonade)

Crystal Effects is a cool way to give your projects a glassy finish, but did you also know it is a great adhesive, too?? I used crystal effects to outline the edges of the butterflies, and then dumped on chunky glitter essentials for dazzling butterfly wings. With crystal effects holding it in place, that glitter isn't going anywhere!

To make the body of the butterfly, I used purple crafting wire (available at craft stores) and wrapped it around the layered butterflies several times. When I liked how it looked, I finished it off by wrapping the wire around itself a couple of times to make a head, and trimmed the wire leaving two antenna.

I used sticky strip to adhere all 4 matchboxes together. Helpful Hint: whenever I make 3-D projects, I always use sticky strip because it is very strong and holds things together very well.

For a decorative trim around the chest of drawers, I first stamped the floral image from the Razzle Dazzle stamp set on my 1-3/4" x 9.3/4" crushed curry cardstock and wrapped it around the outside of the 4 matchboxes. Helpful Hint: I used my bone folder to score the edges for crisp folds.

I created the top and bottom of the chest of drawers using the Top Note Bigz Die. I trimmed around the perforated edge of the DSP Top Note, and adhered to my Crushed Curry Top Note to decorate the top of the chest. I added some bling to the drawer fronts by using my paper piercing tool to place 4 clear rhinestone brads. Helpful Hint: Getting the holes for the rhinestones right in the center of your drawers is a snap when you use the clear guide from the mat pack. You can also use a ruler and make a small pencil mark to help you know where to pierce.

Want to give this fab project a try?? All of the supplies and item numbers are listed below. You can CLICK HERE to shop online 24/7 to purchase any supplies you need. Then click on "Shop Now" in the upper right hand corner and use the item number listed to add them to your cart.

Need a hard copy of the catalog to call your own?? Email me and get the 2009-2010 Idea Book & Catalog for just $5 until July 31st!

Don't forget to check out the Deal of the Week!

Happy Stampin'!! ~Heather

Stampin' Supplies (and Item numbers):

Stamps: Razzle Dazzle (116714)

Ink: Crushed Curry Classic Stampin' Pad (115659)

Paper: Razzleberry Lemonade DSP (115675), Crushed Curry (115319), Rich Razzleberry (115316), Dusty Durango (115321), Melon Mambo (115320)

Tools: Big Shot (113439), Matchbox XL Bigz Die Cut (114890), Extended Cutting Pads (113478), Beautiful Butterflies Bigz Die Cut (114507), Standard Cutting Pads (113475, included with the Big Shot), Paper Piercing Tool (116631), Sticky Strip (and lots of it!) (104294), Mini Glue Dots (103683)

Embellishments: Crystal Effects (101055), Chunky Essentials Glitter (108797), Clear Rhinestone Brads (113144)

Blog Widget by LinkWithin